- 38.06 - DA044NZ, Dan Filihiahekava
- 37.08 - NA038NZ, Nathan Mckenzie
- 36.76 - GR032NZ, Grant R Baker
- 36.00 - PA100NZ, Paul Finney
- 35.31 - PA911NZ, Paul Wicksteed
- 34.97 - SA198NZ, Sam Ryan
- 34.86 - ST083NZ, Steven Bellward
- 34.64 - AD093NZ, Adrian Woodhouse
- 34.55 - SC167NZ, Scott Bennison
- 34.31 - RO028NZ, Robert Hough
- 34.00 - KE057NZ, Kerry Gray
- 33.94 - DA097NZ, Damon Taylor
- 33.88 - OL159NZ, Oliver Drake
- 33.83 - EU199NZ, Eugene Black
- 33.73 - DA189NZ, Darryn Oakly
- 33.72 - IA110NZ, Ian Watson
- 33.42 - VE158NZ, Veronica Hale
- 32.92 - MI190NZ, Mike Allan
- 32.25 - ZI163NZ, Zimba Mckenna
- 31.47 - AL041NZ, Allan Sheblom
- 31.11 - ZA031NZ, Zane Lawrence Maxwell
- 31.07 - JO142NZ, Jonathan Saunders & Shayne Forrest
- 30.75 - CA187NZ, Cam Ellis
- 30.36 - TY056NZ, Tyron Johnson
- 29.59 - MA040NZ, Matt Downer
- 29.22 - BR096NZ, Brayden Rawlinson
- 28.82 - BR176NZ, Brent Sarten
- 28.11 - JA208NZ, Jason Franssen
- 27.81 - KA107NZ, Karl Hayes
- 27.31 - MA197NZ, Matthew Mckay
- 27.01 - DE084NZ, Dean Coleborn
- 25.72 - PA126NZ, Paul Low
- 25.28 - SP191NZ, Springer Browne
Congratulations to the top 3, Nathan, Grant, and Dan. all worthy winners.
As you'll see a respectable 10th Place for me, I'm pretty happy with that. heres a picture (albeit blurry).
so as you know the recipe was a robust Porter, with Bourbon soaked Oak chip, I could onlky get light toast chips. but the amount of comments on the oak flavour was quite surprising. I believed this to be the bourbon flavour (from the original oaky bourbon flavour). But anyways, i like it, and the mrs. likes it also.
Some Stats from the challenge.
Average Score: 34.31
top score: 43
Lowest Score: 20
Best Comment: "A well balanced beer with the bourbon flavour taking second place to the beer which is how it should be, leaves a nice bitter aftertaste"
Worst comment: "Very Thin..."
My Personal Favourite: "Not a robust Porter" (I like this comment solely because it actually doesn't make sense)
So a short Review by myself:
Aroma: Slight chocolate malt, and Plenty of Bourbon, not hot smelling, just a nice honey bourbon Aroma.
Appearance: Nice Dark colour, and leavesa nice lacing. clarity is as good as can be.
Flavour: nice oaky bourbon, coupled with Nice slight roast flavour, plenty of chocolate malt. Carbonation is good. to me theres a slight sweetness there, which lingers.
Mouthfeel: Good to me, slight thin-ness, but nothing major.
Overall: Lovethis beer, plenty of Oak, Bourbon, and roasty chocolate. good carbonation, no faults from what I can taste. clean fermentation.
NOW, onto my top 3 Beers
3rd: GR032NZ - Baltic Porter - Grant Baker, lovely Baltic porter Good Carbonation, and plenty of malty Flavour.
2nd: this was a tie, between two beers for me. A Belgian Tripel DA097NZ, and an oaked Imperial IPA SC167NZ.The reason forthe tie, is mainly because two different beers, gave me two different perceptions. both were well made, and flavourful. the IIPA with oak reacted well with the hops. the hops were well over the top as expected, and the oak seemed to compliment it. Where as the Belgian Tripel, just epitomised what the style is, Big, sweet, and Crisp all at the same time, just very well made.
1st: this beer won for me By a Long Long way, DA044NZ, hidden Agenda Imperial Stout. this beer, was Big bold roasty, Chocolatey, Smooth, There was little to no alcohol flavour and Aroma. Well made well fermented, clean and just lovely.
so while i didn't make the finals, i learned alot and If it happens again, I'm really keen to take part.
Also as per my Previous post, a big thanks to the organisers of the event, and long may it continue.
On a side note, I'll post a review of my Brown Ale very soon, and I just pulled myself a pint of the New Sons of Liberty Porter, at 10 days in the keg, its very nice, although too sweet given the 1.020 finish, i get a feeling it won't be the winner I've been hoping for.
this weekend also marks teh brew-date for my first ever Pilsner. this will be for my 30th birthday party coming up. I'll be kegging my blonde ale as well, I brewed empire of gold again, but hopped it up. so I'll post a review up soon.
Primary1(Plastic): Empire of Gold: El-Dorado Session Pale Ale
Primary3(Bretts/Sours): Original Sin 100% Brett Saison (WLP644)
Secondary1(Wide Mouth Glass): Guts & Glory Flanders Red
Barrel: Hail Caesar Oud Bruin Ale
Bottled: 100% Brett Wild West IPA / Shadow Liberation(SJPORR) Porter /Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown
Keg1: Sons of Liberty Porter
Next Beer to Brew: Plainsmen NZ Pilsner
Wednesday, 1 October 2014
SJPORR & re-Brewing NHC Beers.
Well, the SJPORR challenge NZ Leg is over, and we have the rating for every beer entered.