Thursday 20 October 2016

Hoppy Brett Saison (Nelson Sauvin)

After a number of Brettanomyces influenced Saisons etc, I saw this strain, and thought I'd give it a shot. but what would I brew with it? Some thing traditional maybe? Or should I push the boat out, and add fruits and/or spices? OR What about an imperial Saison, similar to my S J Porr challenge beer last year... (Tart Saison aged on Chardonnay Oak cubes)

But then I thought to myself, who doesn't love hops? 
Not many people I don't think (although there are probably a few weirdo's out there)
So Why not throw a bunch at a Farmhouse Ale. Sounds good to me....

I've brewed a few iterations of the base beer in the past couple of years - I've done, 100% WLP644 (Formerly Brett Trois), WLP500, and more recently I found probably the most suitable strain....WLP670.

"WLP670 - American Farmhouse Blendnspired by local American brewers crafting semi-traditional Belgian-style ales. This blend creates a complex flavor profile with a moderate level of sourness. It consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces. Great yeast for farmhouse ales, Saisons, and other Belgian-inspired beers."

Despite the descriptors, I don't find much, if any sourness. Plenty of light Belgian spices, with a nice classic saison character, and if aged in the correct way, some nice earthy funk from the Brettanomyces strain. 

So, onto the hops:
the last one, was the first hoppy farmhouse I made. so, I'll start there.

Version 1: 
60min: 10g Pacific Jade
0 min: 25g each of Nelson Sauvin / Galaxy / Sorachi Ace
Dryhop: 30g each Nelson Sauvin / Galaxy - 20g Sorachi Ace

I really enjoyed this version, although the Sorachi ace, was over powering,, even more so than Nelson - which we all know is a pungent hop.
So this time around I wanted to find the right balance of hops for the base build. but as always, I'll probably find ways to adjust and change the recipe overthe next few iterations.

Bear in mind, this is beer, that I age for a longer period to get some of that brett funk, as with this yeast, you can keep it in primary for 3 months with no ill effects. (surprisingly enough)


ORIGINAL SIN Farmhouse Ale

Batch Size: 21 Litres
Estimated OG: 1.054
IBU: 20.8
EBC: 8.4EBC
Efficiency: 74%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Grain:
     3.2kg Pilsner
     0.6kg Wheat
     0.3kg Vienna
     0.3kg Melanoiden (Aurora)
     0.3kg Rye Malt
     0.2kg Acidulated
     
Hops:
     60min - 6g Pacific Jade
     00min - 50g Motueka
     00min - 25g Waimea

Dryhop:  85g Nelson Sauvin
Yeast: 
     WLP670 - No Starter (Removed from fridge 6 hours prior to pitching)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion Mash 65 Deg C
Mash out 76 Deg C

Brewing Notes: 
     Brewed 19 June  2016 - Hit Target of 1.050 dead on, volume target dead on. Pitched vial of yeast. (No Starter)
     Ferm Temp 20 Deg C 
     22 June 2016 - Raised Ferm Temp to 22 Deg C

     09 July 2016 - Lowered Temp to 20Deg in ferm chamber for aging.
  
     15 August 2016 - Moved to ambient temp for further aging (I needed the ferm chamber)

     10 September 2016 - Racked to keg, bagged dry-hops added for 3 days, and cold crashed for an additional 24 hours.

     14 September 2016 - Removed bag from keg, and racked to new keg, on top of gelatin.

Tasting Notes:
     Appearance - Crystal golden colour, nice spritzy carbonation.

     Aroma - white grapes and funky farmhouse notes (670 is quite distinct)

     Flavour - more grape, its hard to tell which are hops and which is the funk, but it melds nicely together. I think this time round I get the spicy Rye character too, which adds another dimension to it.

     Mouthfeel - light and crisp, sweetness present fro mthe hop/yeast play.

     Overall - really nice, i think next time round a slight boost ingravity is in order, and an increase in dryhopping (only because its normally easier to throw a full bag of hops in.

VERSION 3 has been brewed using the a slightly altered malt base.....
Pilsner / Wheat / Flaked Oats (1.056)
Big additions of Simcoe Amarillo (50/50) at flameout and Dryhop
Re-pitch of yeast cake. (WLP670)

3 comments:

  1. SJPORR comp brother.... I've been loving me some Brett. I entered a saison based fruit beer with Brett this year. Added some black currants to it. I loved it but found it to be a little confusing for the other SJPORR participants. I used my comp beer yeast cake and did a hoppy Brett saison. I used Ctra, amarillo, and centennial in the boil and citra, amarillo, cascade for dry hop. I absolutely love this beer. Citrus with some funk. My yeast was 3724 and Brett b 5112. I loved coming across this page on milk the funk. Good stuff and cheers to you my brutha! Brew the Brett up man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeers big fella.
      hope it all went well with SJPorr this year.
      Its the first year I missed it.

      Sounds like a great combo of yeast/hops.
      I am toying with the idea of adding another couple of brett isolates when i use some fresh pitches.
      Looking at using 670/648 and maybe 650 or 653.

      Version 3 isn't far away from kegging either.

      Delete
  2. SJPORR comp brother.... I've been loving me some Brett. I entered a saison based fruit beer with Brett this year. Added some black currants to it. I loved it but found it to be a little confusing for the other SJPORR participants. I used my comp beer yeast cake and did a hoppy Brett saison. I used Ctra, amarillo, and centennial in the boil and citra, amarillo, cascade for dry hop. I absolutely love this beer. Citrus with some funk. My yeast was 3724 and Brett b 5112. I loved coming across this page on milk the funk. Good stuff and cheers to you my brutha! Brew the Brett up man!

    ReplyDelete