Wednesday 23 October 2013

Big Brew Day

I got around to brewing my 2 special bitters on the weekend, man what a day! I started at 7am, and finished up around 4pm, after a full clean up etc.
First beer was a Recipe thats been floating around on realbeer.co.nz. The spellbinder recipe, which is an attempt/inpsired by Emerson Bookbinder
I used UK Fuggles, as I couldn't get NZ Fuggles, a 50/50 mix with Riwaka.  Recipe by Studio1.
its 4 days in, and I took a taste, great fresh citrus taste, with some good spice. I overshot OG, so ABV is going to be around 4% ish, ratherthan the 3.7% Suggested by the commercial brewery.
This has been dubbed: Silence in the Library Special Bitter

Recipe number 2 is another Special Bitter Dubbed: The Three Eyed Raven Bitter
similar recipe style, but I subbed out dark crystal for cara-aroma and subbed out the medium crystal for caramunich2. I then modelled this off the fantastic beer by Garage Project and used Riwaka, Pacifica, and Motueka, all in equal portions.
Both beers have used WLP001 slurry from the knights of Free dom APA.

On another note all beers sent and received for the NHC2013. Judging begins on 2nd November, and runs through to sunday.
Next beer on the cards is a re-brew of Bathed in Blood, using Simcoe Hops, paired with Nelson Sauvin. I want more punch, and resin type flavour from this beer, and I wanted to move a bit more towards Emersons Oreti Red, which is probably my favourite Red Ale.
See you all in a week or so. I'll post my judging results up here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment